Right. Not much. Not this Chickee. (Those who know me are rolling their eyes, pursing their lips and nodding their heads and saying mmmm...., or laughing laughing laughing)
So here are photos of my short rows.
Tidy side of heel.
Poo side of heel.
Toes are similar looking.
However. There has been progress. Allow me to elaborate.
I tried yet another technique a few weeks ago I found here. It seemed so promising, but alas the results were so similar. However. The steps followed here were not rocket science. I felt if I could do some tweaking, I could make this work. I just needed to figure out what needed to be tweaked, and how to do the tweaking.
Readers (and I assume I have a few). I am a scientist! I set up an experiment, swatching short row heels (or toes) (they are the same mostly!). No more knitting complete socks, even bebe socks. Nosirree. 24 stitches stockinette for 5 rows and I started my short row decreases, which, as usual, went perfectly, regardless of technique I used.
***I note here that when making a heel, I will leave fewer stitches unworked than for a toe. It will make a toe less pointy to have just a few more stitches in the middle. Already a discovery to the good.
Then I started the increases, making a tweak to the purl side. First off, I was able to see on which side the nicey nicey was happening, and on which side the poo was going. The purl side was lining up nicely, and the knit side was pooing. Hmm. Not what I expected.
This technique calls for knitting (or purling) 2 together, then increasing a stitch. I noted how I was making my dec/inc stitches. I actually changed how I was making my k2tog and increases halfway through when I recognized the results.
I noted how it all looked when complete. Second half of the knit side look remarkably better.
5 more rows of stockinette stitch, and I started another heel (or was it a toe?). This time I un-tweaked the purl side. (Apparently it has been fine all along.) I maintained the mid-row tweakage made in the last heel on the knit side (tweakage consisted of KTBL for both k2tog, and the inc, for those keeping score).
Much, much nicer. On the right track certainly, but room for improvement, as the line of stitches is ‘looser’ that those on the purl side. (It may just need tightening as knitted, but maybe there is room for more improvement.)
5 more rows of stockinette stitch. And another heel. I continued to do the purl side as I have done all along. I change another variable on the knit side (purling the picked up strand), and review the results.
Not so good as KTBL after picking up the strand. And alas! Tthat is where I am had to leave it.
The Knitterly Peeps February Lady Sweater told me that I needed to find another skein of Silky Wool.
The Slippers. Always with the Slippers.
And. Another ABSOLUTELY EXTRAORDINARY STUPENDOUS AND EXCITING ADDITION is coming to Chez Iron Needles, but I am not saying nothing.
So. Short row heels and toes are temporarily put on the back burner. Temporarily. For now. But not for long.
Because I shall prevail. As gah is my witness, I will knit short row heel and toes that look presentable!
Or maybe not...