Which I did. Doesn’t have a lid, but some aluminum foil works dandy. For the price!
I got out my white wool top seconds and weighed a known quantity, tied it (with the suggested figure-8 technique to prevent tie-dye effects) (see how she learns!) and set it to soak. In gathering up the rest of the paraphanelia, I realized I didn’t have the foam brushes I thought I did. So off I tripped to the beauty supply place.
Again. I have been there now for a wig head (for blocking hats), hair picks ( for the DIY hackle), and now, applicator bottles. This time she asked if I wanted a frequent purchaser card. I declined. For now....
I mixed three colors of dye, and organized 'a protected area' (technical term) using an old shower curtain, laid out my saran wrap, the soaked roving on top of the wrap, and started squirting the dye. Wearing gloves, I pressed the dyes through the roving to make sure it got through the whole thickness.
When I was convinced the wool top was colorful enough, I wrapped it up in the saran wrap, making a big jelly roll, and placed it in the steamer for 35 minutes. After cooling, I removed the roll to the sink, unwrapped it, and rinsed in soapy water, followed by clear. The colorful roving was allowed to dry.The process didn’t go perfectly, but I learned some things. So...on the whole, a successful exercise.
- I will use a smaller amount of roving for the width of wrap I used.
- I know now to blot up the excess dye after ‘painting’.
- I understand what the soaking bath needs to be.
And. And! Not wanting to waste anything…
After a quick and dirty spin job, I had a bobbin of single ply ready to try my hand at Navajo plying. A quick check of my resources, and by that I mean I watched this again.
I had some leftover BFL single ply that I took off the bobbin trying to follow Miss Sara. She makes it looks so easy…
The resulting effort. It's...not...immediately easy...
Then I watched it again.
And again. And again.
I loaded up the handpainted on Molly and went to it, and just kept at it. After some spits and starts, I filled a bobbin more or less. Then walked away and left it for a bit.
The next day I wrapped that off, and looked at it. It was a practice exercise, certainly, and I was ready for my second attempt. I am getting much closer. Part of it will be getting the wheel tension dialed in, but of course, most of it is getting me dialed in! (Who am I kidding!)
2nd effortBut. But! I am loaded with ideas to try the handpainting again…
So there will be more with which to practice the Navajo plying.
See. It’s all good.